The suicides of Tyler Clementi, 18, Billy Lucas, 15, Asher Brown, 13, Justin Aaberg, 15, and Seth Walsh, 13, have brought national attention to the epidemic of bullying in American schools.
Now, a number of stars (including Neil Patrick Harris, Chris Colfer, Ke$ha, and others) – many of whom have personal experience with anti-gay bullying, have joined the “It Gets Better Project.” They are speaking out in hopes of raising awareness and providing support to teens and young adults who are being victimized or who are having trouble dealing with their sexuality.
One very touching video was created by ‘Project Runway’ mentor Tim Gunn as he spoke candidly about his own suicide attempt, as well as his support for The Trevor Project, a national 24-hour, toll-free confidential suicide hotline for gay and questioning youth.
There are many more and they are so incredibly inspiring. Have a listen…
Here are a few other sources that deal with bullying…
- Bullyville by Francine Prose
- By the Time You Read This, I’ll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters
- Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted
- The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin by Josh Berk
- Freak Show by James St. James
- Bullying: Deal with it Before Push Comes to Shove by Elaine Slavens
- Girls against Girls: Why We are Mean to Each Other and How We Can Change by Bonnie Burton
***For a more comprehensive list of books, please stop at either the Adult Reference desk or the Youth Reference desk***